Thursday, March 17, 2011

Keeping "afloat"



Today is St. Patrick's Day. It also happens to be Caleb's Birthday. It would (SHOULD!) have been his 7th. I can't believe it's been three years...*sigh*. I made dinner, our fellow Crusader, Josie made an awesome Spiderman cake, we released balloons to Heaven and the kids went swimming.





All the things Caleb would have loved.
I am in such awe of my sister's ability to function in the face of such grief. On a child's Birthday, generally a mother reminisces of that birth day. Their precious little faces, that first cry...those moments of falling so deeply in love. She has those memories of a child who she has only four short years of memories to look back on. I ache for her. Now that I am a mother myself, I honestly don't know how she does it. But she does. And she and Rob fight to keep his memory alive by educating, lobbying and loving others. They are truly remarkable.



The kids seemed to enjoy it like any other birthday while the grown-ups were painfully aware of the obvious missing piece. Maddie swam with floaties for the first time...all by herself.


I suppose everyone was trying hard to keep afloat...








No comments:

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio