Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dollar section stickers=good behavior. Who knew?

I admit it. I was getting frustrated. My strong-willed yet sweet little lady was just...not doing it. But IT, I refer mostly to potty training but also in a general consistency about basic behaviors....manners, eating well, cleaning up after herself. I realized I have not been consistent either with reinforcing these things enough to make her understand they are expected behaviors not her choice at her convenience. I feel she CAN do these things she just chooses not to. She would often rather deal with repercussions than perform the requested act.
I have noticed with her personality, positive reinforcement is vastly more effective than punishment. Sooo....I thought, a chart...a sticker chart (she is obsessed with stickers!). I would put a sticker by the accomplishment, expecting a certain number each week and rewarding her with a trip to a favorite (free, if possible) place... week 1: Lakes Park! It worked like a charm! She is a pottying, manner-using, cleaning up after herself fool! She is so excited to earn a sticker and she loves the accumulation of sparklies! It has also been a great tool for us to figure out areas we need to work on. Let's hope it proves to be the trick for continued success!
The reward is so sweet :)



1 comment:

Becky said...

Great idea! I knew you'd figure it out :) No one knows Maddie better than you ... it just takes some tweaking and adjusting every now and then to keep up with them and their growing little personalities. Great job :)

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio