Monday, January 9, 2012

Why do I keep doing this??

"I would sooner give birth than do this again.", the words I uttered mere moments after finishing last year. Let me explain: I am no runner. I have heard about the "runner's high" but have never experienced it. I hate mornings, I get bored....everything that is required to truly be a runner, I am pathetically lacking. So why do I keep doing this to myself?! I do it for the cause and with hopes to stay in some semblance of shape. And, if I'm being totally honest, I like getting medals. It makes me all warm and fuzzy (after the nausea and faint-feeling wears off, that is). I am a reluctant runner yet there is something awesome about accomplishing this physical feat, the camaraderie of the team of Crusaders, the money and awareness raised in the months leading up to the event. It's truly remarkable and while I despise the actual running part, I am honored to be a part of it. So, I conned my friend Gwen to join me in the relay. It was the first time Disney has hosted a relay. Last year I ran the half and selfishly wanted to run a different course and get a different medal. She was open to the idea sooo...


First, we went to Wide World of Sports to get our race packets. We didn't bring Maddie this year since we couldn't swing a trip to Disney and we were only going for the race and coming right home. Yaya was more than happy to have her to herself overnight :)We signed the Cigna wall (I personally like Garret's sentiment. :)


Sssshhhh...not exactly ideal pre-run behavior...


Pre-run pasta dinner at T-Rex in Downtown Disney...great place!

Here comes my partner...she did awesome!Off I went....


Might as well have some fun while trying not to die. I mean, who can resist Elvis?!





ALMOST there....




And, if I'm being honest, my second motivation (after fundraising for Childhood Cancer, of course)... A MEDAL!






My amazing support system!




The Marathoners (and me :) Gwen and I were the only relay team...


And what does a girl want after burning a zillion calories running 13.1 miles??? An entire pizza and a bucket of sangria. Oh, and a hot tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio