Tuesday, October 6, 2009

See a penny, pick it up...

So Maddie and I are at the bank this morning...too early, unfortunately. I am assuming it opens at eight, turns out it's eight-thirty. So we have to wait for ten minutes to get in...and I have to go in because I have to change my pin. I was assigned one when they sent me a new card and I can never remember it! I've had the same pin for years and I cannot, for the life of me, remember any other assigned number! As we're waiting, a small crowd begins to gather. Mostly elderly people, a woman in scrubs that I assume to be a nurse and me and my getting-increasingly-fussy baby. I move her carseat closer to my face and start to talk to her, soothe her. Out of the corner of my eye I see an elderly lady bending forward to pick up what I soon realize is a penny...heads up. I notice immediately that this is not an easy feat for her as she has some sort of impairment of the hand she is using to attempt to gain this bit of good luck. She finally gets it in her palm and turns towards me. "I wish you and your new baby much good luck, " she says and painstakingly twists her palm to let the penny drop into mine. I try to appear unphased by the awkwardness and focus on her generosity. This kind stranger, who clearly could have used some luck of her own, decided to share it with me. My blessings are abundant, and I don't know how much of them have to do with luck but I realize in that moment how very lucky I already am.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Nice! What a sweet story... :-)

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio