Monday, September 21, 2009

PLEASE HELP!!!




I'm training to participate in the ING Half Marathon in January 2010 in honor of Caleb Whan, my nephew who passed away 11 days after his 4th birthday after a difficult battle with Leukemia. I watched the life slowly drain from this brave little fighter. His ability to laugh, sing, play and endure throughout the most unimaginable horrors that the treatment for this disease involves has inspired me to feel compelled to make a difference...in any small way. I implore you to do the same. With just a small donation, you can help make a difference in the lives of families living and dying with this disease. I am running on behalf of the foundation my sister and her husband created in memory of Caleb, "Caleb's Crusade".



In the five minutes it takes to make a donation, someone will be diagnosed with a blood cancer and in five more, someone will die.



I know I didn't fully understand the need for donations when I first became involved in running for an organization until I saw firsthand what can be done to benefit families with these diseases. Insurance only covers a small portion of the astronaumical costs for treatment. There are medications, travel expenses (in Caleb's case, he was treated at Duke University Medical Center in N.C), copayments, lost wages...people lose their homes, their cars struggling to make ends meet. In addition to aiding with these costs, there is a great need for continued research to irradicate these life-threatening illnesses.



I fully realize the state of our economy and the fact that many of us are struggling financially but we must remember cancer does not abate for a flailing economy. ANY small donation helps!
I will be running in honor of Caleb...his courage and strength will inspire me to the finish line. I hope his story does the same for you.




Please make a donation...of any value, at the following website: http://www.calebscrusade.com/



"Children with cancer are like candles in the wind who accept the possibility that they are in danger of being extinguished by a gust of wind from nowhere and yet, as they flicker and dance to remain alive, their brilliance challenges the darkness and dazzles those of us who watch their light. "-- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio