Monday, January 10, 2011

My First Half Marathon!!

Caleb's Hat...signed by Spiderman, worn by Monique
Our pre-race spagetti dinner

I'm so proud of my sister....


at the starting line...







Crossing the finish line!!








I think I can, I think I can...


running through the castle..


The gang just before the start...

The reason for it all...


I did it!!!!!!

My amazing support system...



On January 8th, I ran my very first distance race...the half marathon at Disney! What an amazing experience for several reasons...

A: I realize I kinda abhor running. I am not someone who enjoys the long hours of solitude, blah, blah, blah. I'm amazed I even signed up for it!

B: I ran for my sister's foundation, Caleb's Crusade so I had to raise funds. People I haven't seen in YEARS were making donations...I was so touched.

C: the run itself is pretty awesome! You run through Epcot and The Magic Kingdom (through Cinderella's castle!).

D: there was so much camaraderie between the runners. Everyone seemed to really root for one another and encourage those of us who were struggling more than others.

I am so glad I did it. It's one of those things you feel so accomplished about... the difference you pray you'll make in the lives of children suffering with Cancer, crossing that finish line feeling more physical pain than I can remember next to childbirth. Toward the end of the race, I was really running out of gas. I mean, I literally hit "the wall" as they say. My shirt had a picture of Caleb and someone passing me must have noticed my impending collapse. She taps me right in the middle of the picture and says "Don't give up, remember who you are doing this for." I still think she was sent by Caleb to root me on. I finished with a smile and so much emotion. I thought alot during that run about Caleb and those like him that have suffered so much. This was not real pain. It was not suffering. They and their families would give anything to see them run. Like our motto says: "I run because I can, I run because they can't." I am proud of myself. I'm not always the best at following through and I did it. Go me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio