Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We have become "those" people....


You know the ones. They pull out a wallet-full of snapshots from birth to today, talk incessantly about how fabulous, smart, beautiful, etc. their offspring are, relate every story back to their children...we too have become "those" people. I suppose everyone thinks their baby is the most beautiful baby on the planet. We are convinced she's rolling over, holding up her tiny head, smiling in response to our smiles and laughs. But I can't believe everyone studies their every feature, wrinkle, expression, pore as we do daily. But I suppose we all do. We parents are all "those" people...and we are thrilled to join the club!!

What spawned this sudden obsession? Three words: Madeline Claire Copeland. Arguably the sweetest thing to ever grace planet Earth. She entered the world on July 12, 2009 at 3:43pm, weighing in at a whopping 5 pounds, 15 ounces and measuring 18 inches long. She came via C-section wailing her announcement throughout the hospital with lungs clearly not befitting her diminutive size. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Wow...those are some big lungs for such a little girl." I remember few details about those first moments, as I passed out due to the medications shortly thereafter. But I remember her wailing. I also remember Garret sitting beside me watching the entire thing. Really??!! Who knew he would be so fascinated by my organs displayed on the table? He says now when he claims to love me inside and out, he REALLY means it. He watched in awe...I mean real awe. Mouth formed in a half smile, half grimace with terror and amazement in his eyes. Then there were tears. When they pulled her up and out and toward us, I think we both fell in love instantly. She seemed so big then. Maybe the drugs distorted my vision. Clearly, she was not big in any way...except for that big cry, that is. Minutes later, THEY descended. More family and friends than I have seen in some time all in one place! It was great...to see all the people that will be so instrumental in her life and who she will become surround us all with so much love and support. It was a moment of pure joy for me. I don't know that I have ever experienced "true joy" until that moment.
So, here we are, slobbering over her like a shiny new toy. Only this one will never become less interesting.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

WOW! Beautifully written and so precious. I loved every word in this post. I am so happy for you guys! Wish you were closer :-( I can't wait to read more about her through this wonderful blog!
Much love,
Chrissy

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I'm glad Maddie's mom is such a techno expert. Maybe YaYa will be one one day too.

Trish said...

I love the pictures and story of Maddie. It is beautifully written. How does a new Mom have time?? I am so impressed.

Post a Comment

© Children Wonderland template | Design by Jackie's Design Studio